Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer
Kidney cancer, sometimes referred to as renal cell carcinoma or renal adenocarcinoma, is a type of cancer that occurs in the lining of small tubes in the kidney.
While a kidney cancer diagnosis can seem frightening, most cases are detected before the cancer cells have spread to other parts of the body, resulting in a high survival rate for patients.
The specialists in the GW Cancer Center’s Urologic Oncology Program offer comprehensive diagnosis and treatment options for patients with kidney cancer. They also have performed more minimally invasive surgeries for kidney cancer than any other center in the region.
Specialty Care for Kidney Cancer
Our caring specialists will help you understand and manage a kidney cancer diagnosis. Because we know every patient is unique, we take the time to develop an individualized treatment plan that will deliver the best outcomes.
Our program offers a clinic where patients can meet with several cancer specialists in one visit. Our team of specialists work together to gather information using advanced detection tools. We then collaborate to analyze the information and create a treatment plan that will deliver the best results. Treatments may include participation in life-saving clinical trials.
Kidney Cancer Program Information
- Collaborative Care
- Patient navigators support patients who have been diagnosed with kidney cancer. Navigators steer patients through the process. They even help them with the financial aspects of a cancer diagnosis, such as working with insurers.
- We offer a multidisciplinary clinic where patients can conveniently interact with several specialists in one visit. Our team works together to provide an accurate diagnosis and to create the best treatment plan.
- Clinical Research
Patients in clinical trials benefit from the latest developments in the field.
GW Cancer Center partners with these organizations to offer clinical trials for patients with kidney cancer:
- The Genitourinary Multidisciplinary D.C. Regional Oncology Project (GUMDROP)
- The National Cancer Institute (NCI) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- The Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG)
- Advanced Diagnosis and Treatment
GW Cancer Center offers specialized screening and treatment for kidney cancer.
- We perform more minimally invasive surgical procedures for kidney cancer than anyone in the region.
- We offer a clinical trial to understand how immunotherapy can be beneficial for patients with kidney cancer. Immunotherapy enhances the body's ability to fight cancer.
- Leading Edge Technology
We offer da Vinci® robotic surgery. Using tiny incisions, we can remove the tumor mass or the entire kidney, and surrounding tissues and lymph nodes. The da Vinci® robot offers surgeons more precision to minimize potential side effects. This minimally invasive procedure may result in less scarring and shorter hospital stays.