At the GWCC, the safety of our members, staff and in particular our cancer patients, many of whom are immunocompromised, is a top priority. In the setting of the COVID-19 pandemic, we understand that our cancer patients may have more concerns than the general population about contracting the virus. We are hard at work developing strategies to continue to deliver comprehensive care while minimizing unnecessary exposure of our patients within our clinical setting.
Our main initial strategy is to MINIMIZE the volume of patients coming through our clinic on a daily basis. We are doing this by postponing all non-emergent visits and by offering remote telemedicine visits, when appropriate.
FOR PATIENTS WITH AN UPCOMING DOCTORS VISIT
- What is being done to keep our patients and staff safe in the CLINIC:
- We are trying to bring in only patients who NEED to be seen right now. All routine follow up visits should be postponed.
- We are trying to minimize the number of patients getting labs drawn in our office, and are encouraging patients to get labs closer to home, so there is less time spent waiting in the office.
- We are offering telemedicine appointments, when appropriate. The capacity for telemedicine is actively being established for all providers, but may be delayed as we get these services set up over the next 1-2 weeks.
- What YOU can do:
- Call (202)741-2210 to reschedule any routine appointments.
- If you are having fevers, chills, cough or new onset shortness of breath, please call the office ahead to discuss your symptoms and to consult with your provider about the most appropriate way to manage them.
- Please limit the number of guests you bring with you to the clinic. We will only be permitting ONE WELL GUEST per patient in the clinic during this time to limit traffic in the office.
FOR PATIENTS WITH AN UPCOMING INFUSION VISIT
- What is being done to keep our patients and staff safe in the INFUSION CENTER:
- Screening is happening at the entrance of the building for anyone with symptoms.
- We are postponing appointments for any non-essential infusions.
- There will be a separate "fast-track" area for injections to reduce the number of people entering the infusion center.
- We are NOT permitting any guests in the infusion center at this point.
- What YOU can do:
- If you are having any cold or flu-like symptoms, please stay home and call our triage line to find out how to best manage those symptoms and for guidance about your next appointment.
- If your infusion is not URGENT, i.e. Zometa to maintain bone strength, you may call and have it postponed. You will not be charged a cancellation fee.
- DO NOT bring any guests with you to the infusion center. The nurses and providers will be there to support you.
- If you can get labs 1-2 days ahead of time at a local LabCorp, that would reduce some of the wait time in the infusion center. This option should be discussed with your provider.
PLEASE NOTE: as this is a rapidly evolving situation and new information and guidelines are continually being available, please refer to our website https://www.gwdocs.com or https://cancercenter.gwu.edu for links to the most updated information. You may also refer to www.coronavirus.gov for further guidance.