Current Research Themes
Neural Development/Stem Cells (Longstanding research area)
- Understand cellular and molecular control of nervous system glial specification
- Identify molecules that regulate glial cell proliferation and migration.
Myelin Repair (Myelin Repair Foundation, Athersys, BiogenIdec)
- Utilize adult neural progenitor cells to enhance repair
- Characterize human neural progenitor cells
Brain tumor Biology (Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and Neurosurgery Dept at University Hospitals and the Hermelin Brain Tumor Center at Henry Ford Hospital)
- Characterize cellular origins of neural tumors
- Identify novel therapeutic targets to control cell proliferation, death and migration of neural cells
Spinal Cord Injury (Neurosurgery Dept. University Hospitals and CWRU Stem Cell Center)
- Utilize molecules important in glial development to facilitate spinal cord repair
- Develop neural and non-neural stem cell approaches to modulate spinal cord injury responses.